How are you doing with taking care of yourself? Let’s take a look at a couple of interesting facts:
- 35 percent of all solo entrepreneurs are women, and their numbers are increasing by 23 percent annually according to the Apollo Research Institute.
- 94% of self-employed (aka solo entrepreneurs) utilize a home office for their business (Source: NASE)
These two facts alone lead me to believe that as the holidays approach, it’s incredibly important for mompreneurs to do two things before the holidays arrive:
- Create VERY clear boundaries between work and time off during holiday seasons
- Plan and HONOR relaxation, rejuvenation and celebration time for yourself
I was speaking with a client this week who has been working six days per week this year to meet her revenue goals. She’s done well on the client-facing, income-generating side of her business, but when we looked at her actual time under a microscope for a typical week, it was evident that she is really struggling to get the time to take care of herself. ON the plus side, business is great, referrals are rolling in, her reputation and hard work is paying off and are selling her services for her. It’s a great position to be in when your business and services are in high demand… The excitement, courage and hope is there to keep on trucking! BUT – (there’s always a BUT…) when you’re running your own business… and squeezing every last inch out of your waking hours… and feeling the pain of being wiped out it usually means you don’t have the support you need… and guess who pays the price for that? YOU!
Establish Your Own Unique Personal Goals Separate from Business
The immense responsibilities, endless decisions, projects and tasks, that occur when you launch your own business are bigger than most new business owners expect. Now, more than ever before, it is important for you to establish clear boundaries, and some set time for yourself, (even if that is only 10 minutes during the day).
You write goals for your business, but do you think of balancing all that productivity and power with some personal goals for you?
Do you create Me Goals?
If you haven’t yet – I suggest you do so for this holiday season. When you think of your me goals – take a few deep breaths and imagine the ‘vacation you’… You know, the one that you like to spend time with… the pictures of the you that you love to share on Facebook.. (that get all the ‘likes’), the relaxed, happy, beautiful, endlessly blissful vacation you!
Make your ‘Me Goals’ supple, tangible, enjoyable, and spoiling. Your Me Goals should make you smile… that crafty little smile that pops out when you’re up to something…
The suggestions below are originally penned by Cheryl Richardson, the author of Extreme Self Care who teaches the best way to take care of others (i.e. your business, and your family) and be fully present in your life, is to first take care of yourself.
Consider this list of Extreme Self Care Habits before writing your “Me” Goals for this holiday season:
1. Create healthy eating habits.
2. When something feels most like a luxury, that very thing should likely be turned into a daily necessity.
3. Never check email first thing in the morning.
4. Don’t beat around the bush. Be brave enough to ask for what you want directly.
5. Rest often! It may be the most productive thing you do with your time. Refreshing yourself helps you stay productive and helps keep you motivated.6. Never underestimate the power of getting a full night of sleep – every night.
7. “Every thought you think and every word you say is an affirmation for your future.” From Louise Hay, the master of affirmations.
8. Embrace your resistance to change while remaining open to new possibilities.
9. “Puttering” is a valid act of extreme self-care.
10. Stop robbing others of their responsibilities.
11. Be a creator not a responder.
Consider this list, and take ten minutes to write your own list of unique ME goals that are significant to you. A happier, healthier you is a much more sane you. Take the time to create, invest in and honor your “Me Goals”.
Need some support in meeting your Me Goals? Contact me to apply for a Discovery Session, and let’s see if I can help. What are the top ways you make time for your self care? Please share your ideas and best practices in the comment box below so we can all learn from one another!