Cena Block, MS COC
ADHD Coach ~ Productivity Expert
I'm Cena Block, and I'm an ADHD Coach and productivity expert. I'm a professional facilitator, coach, author, and speaker who helps service business owners struggling to 'manage it all'... DO it all in the time they have!
How I Became A Coach
In 2008 after a break from corporate to raise my young children, I founded SaneSpaces.com and in 2012, I launched the Time & Space Style Inventory™, the premier time management and organizing personality style online assessment. This online assessment provides a starting point for coaches, organizers, consultants, and educators who help those struggling with staying organized and managing their time.
Why I Specialize in ADHD
I have spent my life surrounded by undiagnosed and unrecognized ADHD. One of my parents, three siblings, and now many of my core family members have different brain-based conditions. They're amazingly talented, super-smart people who sometimes struggle with typical ADHD symptoms. Until I began to learn more about brain-based conditions in coaching school, I really didn't recognize it as different. I just thought super-smart people were like that. It was just normal for me.
As I pursued my coaching certification, I realized how much I loved working with high performers. My clients are high-energy professionals (both men and women) with ADHD (diagnosed or not), like me.
With today's busy lifestyles, most people feel as though they have ADHD regardless! However, I found after working with entrepreneurs for years that those who struggled most with getting organized and staying productive had the special challenge of battling with their own ADHD symptoms. ADHD is a brain-based condition with known causes, but so many who have a diagnosis may have never considered their 'struggles' to be the effects of ADHD bogging things down.
Coaching provides a safe space to experiment, notice, and observe yourself in each moment on your way to your goals.
I have a sweet spot for working with mom entrepreneurs because I am one. And, since I believe being a parent is the most important job you'll ever have, I am deeply committed to helping parent entrepreneurs live and work powerfully, make more money, and carve out time to support busy, thriving, successful kids.
Entrepreneurs in the late startup phase to advancing growth phases of business get great results with me.
If you have not yet launched your business, you may find better results working with a program or your local Small Business Development Center to get things off the ground. There is so much to do to launch that those in emerging start-ups may find they are not yet ready to work with a coach. The plethora of meta decisions and early milestones needed to launch a business can be learned from a mentor, small business development center, or business school.
But later, after you've done the hard work of birthing your business, you may be struggling to create sustainability: reliable income, systematizing how you do what you do, and creating routines that support but do not limit your energy.
If you are not getting the results you desire, it is a great time to work with a coach to improve your results.
Many of my clients are in the later stages of life, having enjoyed long careers, and are looking for some new way to bring their talents, specialties, and passions to the world. I specialize in helping those who've already launched and are looking to regain their time, optimize marketing, tighten up branding, increase sales, implement systems and raise their profit margins.
How Coaching Works
Coaching is about action. Neurotypical brains tend to more easily adapt to systematic approaches to work. However, they can struggle with sorting out the next steps, sequencing what has priority and mapping out a plan. So coaching is incredibly powerful for neurotypicals who want to improve their results.
With ADHD, initiating, motivating and sustaining action, and finishing tasks can all be tricky, confusing, and overwhelming. That's why working with a coach on these sticky areas of your own performance can be a game-changer. Many even say it's a life-changer. You see, most of us don't know much about how the effects of ADHD keep us stuck. Many people know a little about ADHD, but few really know how to harness its super-power abilities. Instead, we have lived their lives somewhat successfully either 'riding the adrenaline response wave' to reach successes, or avoiding and distracting ourselves from big things. ADHD catches us at 'effect' or symptom. So, coaching helps shed light in those dark, slippery areas of effect. It provides the opportunity for you to see what likely may have been hiding in plain sight all along under the guise of 'that's just my personality.'
Coaching allows you to move from unconscious incompetence to conscious competence in your life. You'll learn how powerful it feels to slow down, focus set achievable goals, remove obstacles, take small steps, and reflect on what worked to deepen your awareness. We work to deepen awareness, build on your strengths, and design supportive environments that help you take action consistently.
Accountability is shared in a coaching relationship. Integrity is enhanced and your results will skyrocket. Whether you work with me privately or join a group, you benefit from my training, coaching, and certifications I've earned along life's way.
I follow a process to help you find clarity. Beginning with your vision and values you can align your brand messaging, find ideal clients with your marketing, and close more clients. When you have brand alignment, you attract more ideal clients, create savvy systems, take care of yourself, and develop supportive relationships around you so your business becomes more profitable and fuels the dream lifestyle you desire, by design.
Sandwich Generation Challenges
Many of my clients identify with "sandwich generation', stuck between growing children, and older parents. As such, my ideal clients typically want their businesses to support their freedom and flexibility first. This way they can have ultimate control over their schedule and take the time they need to live their lives. They also want to deliver their services through a powerful, transformational and profitable business model.
- My clients are smart, educated, sophisticated, professional and experts in their zone of brilliance.
- They often struggle with managing all the details which cause undue stress.
- They often skip marketing and some struggle with sales.
- Business owners and professionals living with ADD or ADHD.
- They are creative, high performers, and know they CAN do whatever they set out to accomplish, but have trouble prioritizing and completing things on time.
- They lack systems, big plans, and regular routines which make them feel out of control.
- They are not sure how to bring all the pieces and parts together so their life 'feels' right and fits their many passions.
The Coaching Cycle: Intention, Awareness, Action, Completion, Evaluation
Through deep awareness and informed action, clients gain clarity, align their business and expertise puzzle pieces, increase their productivity, attract ideal clients and create time to enjoy their lives and businesses again. The process of working together ignites their passion to make a difference in the world through their business and within their sphere of intimacy.
The ADHD Flow Method™: Clear the Fog, Create Flexible Framework, Focus to Finish
After working with so many clients with ADHD, we use this method to create a way to talk about how ADHD is working for and against them. With clarity clients become much more productive. A flexible framework simply means learning how you work best and stay motivated so your systems help you stay engaged on what matters most. When it's time to work, instead of coasting and wasting time, clients learn individual self-monitoring habits and hacks to repattern unhelpful past times and work more diligently, reliably and responsibly toward their goals.
The Time & Space Style Inventory
I developed the Time & Space Style Inventory (TSSI™). This is the first online assessment to help people understand their natural style of time management and space organization. Individual style reports serve as a starting point for coaches, organizers and educators dedicated to helping those who struggle with organizing space and managing their time. This online assessment tool and membership site provide a starting point for coaches, organizers and educators dedicated to helping those who struggle with organizing space and managing their time.
I've written a few publications: The Time & Space Style Inventory Style Guide: The Professional's Resource, Time To Toss It, and Getting It All Done in The Unstoppable Woman’s Guide To Emotional Well Being. And I enjoy speaking at engagements centering around women, work-family balance, career, confidence, self-development, productivity and leadership.
Background & Brief Bio
My career background encompasses curriculum design, management training, leadership, performance and organizational development. My areas of expertise span from productivity (time management, organizing and optimizing workflows), to teaming, leadership, communication, presentation skills, and facilitation. My workshops are designed to combine self-assessment, wellness practices and success principles that guide attendees to take powerful action and enhance awareness.
My professional expertise comes from more than 25 years of human performance development in the areas of, change management, supervising, career coaching, management skills, performance coaching, training design, and delivery and entrepreneurship. I also hold certifications and accreditations in several world-wide training and coaching programs.
Before leaving corporate, I led employee engagement initiatives, directed performance planning, managed staff, and implemented improvement initiatives for an employee base of more than 28,000. I am master-certified as a facilitator, and working toward COC coaching accreditations which I expect to finish in 2017.
I achieved both my BS and MS in Communications from Ithaca College and am certified in many human performance systems (ODI, Inside-Out Coaching, Behavioral Technology, Organization Development Inc. and many others). As a professional organizer, I have worked with chronically disorganized populations and those who struggle with ADHD, OCD, PTSD, TBI and other brain-related conditions. While working as a professional organizer, I served as president of the Northern NJ Chapter of National Association of Professional Organizers, (NAPO NNJ: 2012-2014) & am a member of both Pike County, PA and Greater Scranton, PA Chambers of Commerce. In July of 2023, I signed on as the Head Coach at Inflow, an ADHD Coaching App, where I oversee the Inflow Video Coaching Team.
But, despite all the credentials and plaudits above, what's most important to know about me is that I treasure my family most of all, and I'm grateful for having had the time to raise my sons and support my husband while building my business.
I WANT to save you the time, headaches and heartaches of the failures I've lived (and thankfully survived) through. So take that next step and let's set up a time to talk.
I invite you to schedule a complimentary call with me to discuss your needs.
- Finding Flow: Understanding Your Client's Time & Space Style Preferences with the TSSI™
- Beyond Organized: Embracing Your Natural Time & Space Style To Find Flow
- Can We Just Get Along? Communicating Effectively Using Social Styles
- Manage Your Time To Get Things Done: 20 Proven Productivity Strategies
- Power Office! Making Work, Work!
- Lead Effective Meetings
- Improving Work Processes: A Blueprint For Workflow Success
- Finding Flow: Discovering Your Unique Personality Style For Time Management and Space Organizing
- Asana - Using Asana to Organize Your Business and Your Life!
- How Unstoppable Women Entrepreneurs Get It All Done
- Managing Time To Get Things Done: Top 25 Strategies for Busy Professionals
- Top 10 Time-Saving Strategies for Unstoppable Women
- Presenting Yourself With Confidence
- Conquering Clutter – Letting Go
- Organizing Myths and How To Overcome Them
Web News Appearances
- Yahoo.com - "Why Clutter Can Actually Be Good For You." - https://www.yahoo.com/makers/why-clutter-can-be-good-for-you-122526334215.html
- Fox News - "How To Find More Time in Your day" - http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/11/21/how-to-find-more-time-in-your-day/
- PR Newswire - ProfNet Expert - http://www.profnetconnect.com/cenablock/blog/friends.one
- Times-Tribune - http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/business/amid-economic-downturn-more-starting-home-based-businesses-1.629671
- Rocket-Courier - http://www.rocket-courier.com/news/OldArchive/Community/Whipple_Receives_Merit_Award_For_Female_Entreprene.html
Radio, Cyber & Live Appearances
- Host of Managing Mompreneur Mayhem - My Radio Show on Word of Mom Radio since February 2013
- Creating A Sane Place - Bolder Business Podcast with Aprille Janes - April 1, 2015
- Help Busy Moms Get More Organized & Profitable, Relaunch! with Joel & Pei -- December 2014
- How To Stay Sane As A Mompreneur, on Business Girlfriends Show (Spiro & Swetmon) - November 2014
- Saner Spaces, Happy Places on iHeart Radio with Ally LoPrete - March 2014
- Using Asana To Organize Your Business And Your Life, SOHO Tech Training with Deb Lee - July 2014
- Make Time for Your Delicious Life - The Delicious Life Show with Cynthia D'Amour - December 2013
- Hope For The Pilers! The Delicious Life Show with Cynthia D'Amour - July 2014
- The 2013 Thriving Mamas Telesummit with Andrea Allen - August 2013
- The Empowered Young Mom with Larissa Reed - July 2013
- Biz570.com - http://biz570.com/a-noble-questmeet-sane-spaces-1.1609462
- Biznik.com - http://biznik.com/articles/the-power-of-one-0
- CarolRoth.com - blog expert guest - http://www.carolroth.com/blog/75-tasks-that-your-business-should-outsource/
- SavvyChicksMedia.com - blog expert guest - http://savvychicksmedia.com/topic/author/cena-block-sane-spaces/
- GetOrganised.co - blog expert guest - http://www.getorganised.co/author/cena/
- momsgovirtual.com - blog interview - http://momsgovirtual.com/meet-a-mompreneur-cena-block/
Engagements & Appearances
- ICD Institute for Challenging Disorganization: International Conference Time Management Panel Expert Panelist Sept 2023
- NAPO National Association of Professional Organizers 2023 Virtual Chapter Presentation: Finding Flow - Understanding Your Client's Time & Space Styles August 2023
- Ithaca College Alumni Association: Time Styles: Understanding Your Unique Time Management Personality Preferences October 2015
- ICD Institute for Challenging Disorganization: Finding Flow - Understanding Your Clients Time & Space Styles October 2015
- MARCPO Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference for Productivity Professionals & Organizers: Finding Flow - Understanding Your Clients Time & Space Styles, Expert Panelist, October 2015
- NAPO National Association of Professional Organizers 2015 National Conference: Expand Your Expertise: Take Your Services To A Corporate Market!, April 2015
- United Way of Northern New Jersey: Conquering Clutter, Letting Go April 2015
- IAAP - International Association of Administrative Professionals Wyoming Valley Annual Meeting: Managing Time To Get Things Done: 25 Time Strategies For High Performers March 2015
- *NAPO Nashville, TN: Your Signature System: Your Key To Cashflow, March 2015
- MARCPO Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference for Productivity Professionals & Organizers: Low Cost Networking Strategies For Big Income, October 2014
- *NAPO Northern, NJ: Your Signature System: Your Key To Cashflow, July 2014
- *NAPO 2014 National Conference: Finding Flow: Understanding Your Clients Time and Space Style Preferences, June 2014
- SBDC Small Business Development Center: Improving Work Processes: A Blueprint for Workplace Success, December 2013
- Sussex County Association of Realtors: Low Cost Networking Strategies For Big Income, November 2013
- *NAPO NNJ (NAPO NNJ): Low Cost Networking Strategies July 2013
- *NAPO 2013 National Conference: Presenting Yourself With Confidence! Concurrent Session, April 2013
- *NAPO 2013 National Conference: Ask The Organizer Panel: Alternative Business Models, April 2013
- *NAPO NNJ (NAPO NNJ): Strategic Planning Facilitation 2011 & 2012
- *NAPO National Conference: Board Leadership Panel March 2012
- University of Scranton Library Staff Development: Conquering Clutter & Letting Go May 2012
- Web MD: Managing Time To Get Things Done 2011, 2012
- Web MD: Leadership Strategic Planning 2012
- Web MD: HR Staff Recruiting Workflows & Process Improvement 2012
- International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP) Wyoming Valley Chapter: Presenting Yourself with Confidence, April 2012
- Sussex County Community College, Women’s Retreat Presentation: Top 10 Time Strategies, April 2012, April 2011
- *NAPO National Leadership Training: Can We Just Get Along? Understanding Social Styles, March 2012
- Award for Women Entrepreneur Keynote Speaker: Helping Women Entrepreneurs Get It All Done, October 2011
- SBDC Small Business Development Center Seminar Series: Freedom & Power with Time & Space Styles, October 2011
- Maternal Family Health Resources Keynote: Communicating Effectively Using Social Styles, June 2011,
- Maternal Family Health Resources Leadership Training: Leading Effective Meetings August 2011
- National Association of Professional Organizers NNJ (NAPO NNJ): Strategic Planning Facilitation 2011 & 2012
- University of Scranton Staff Senate: Leading Effective Meetings May 2011
- *NAPO = National Association of Professional Organizers