Web browsing is one of easiest ways to waste your time. Before you realize it, you may spend hours browsing while generating very little results.
Best practices to avoid mindless browsing include:
- Setting a timer to give you an auditory reminder of time gone by
- Browsing for a reason (research vs. procrastination)
- Checking your social media outlets at certain times of day
- Avoiding chat loops/rooms
- Keeping to a personal schedule that allows for purposeful browsing
I tend to think of the internet as kind of a virtual library. I don’t think I would ever spend endless hours walking through aisles of information without a reason… It helps me keep my browsing behavior in check. I equate mindless browsing to standing on the streetcorner and staring blankly at the world going by. Mindless browsing is not helpful or productive and in many ways is just another excuse for procrastination or a response to boredom.
How do you avoid mindlessly browsing and wasting your time while on the web? Please share your wisdom and ideas in the comment box below for others!