I was recently nominated as President of the NAPO (National Association of Professional Organizers) Northern New Jersey Chapter! This chapter is filled with professional organizers and other organizing-related professionals devoted to making people’s lives easier, more productive and more fulfilling. The membership is a local group of nearly 75 people, but we belong to a larger international network of many (some of whom, I’m sure you’re familiar).
While this is indeed an honor (and a challenge), I am reminded that good leaders must lead by example. Good leader’s are known for integrity – which means they do what they say they will. Through their actions, which are aligned with what they say, they become a person others want to follow. I’d like to share the Top 10 ways to lead by example.
1. Take responsibility. Blame costs you your credibility, keeps team members on the defensive and ultimately sabotages real growth.
2. Be truthful. Inaccurate representation affects everyone. Show that honesty really IS the best policy.
3. Be courageous. Walk through fire (a crisis) first. Take calculated risks that demonstrate commitment to a larger purpose.
4. Acknowledge failure. It makes it OK for your team to do the same and defines failure as part of the process of becoming extraordinary.
5. Be persistent. Try, try again. Go over, under or around any hurdles to show that obstacles don’t define your company or team.
6. Create solutions. Don’t dwell on problems; instead be the first to offer solutions and then ask your team for more.
7. Listen. Ask questions. Seek to understand. You’ll receive valuable insights and set a tone that encourages healthy dialogue.
8. Delegate liberally. Encourage an atmosphere in which people can focus on their core strengths.
9. Take care of yourself. Exercise, don’t overwork, take a break. A balanced team, mentally and physically, is a successful team. Model it, encourage it, support it!
10. Roll up your sleeves. Like Alexander the Great leading his men into battle, you’ll inspire greatness in your company.
I am very honored and excited to work with this group and hope this year serves to contribute to all of our businesses, our clients and our own personal growth!
Author’s content used under license, © 2011 Claire Communications