Where do I start? My life is so disorganized!”
Start with just five minutes a day.
“But I can’t accomplish anything in just five minutes!”
Five minutes a day is more than nothing, it’s a containable time period, and by the end of one week – you’ll have dedicated more than 35 minutes to your de-cluttering goal. Here are some road rules to follow, five minutes at a time.
Today’s 5 Minute Fix: Create a Visual Picture.
When I’m decluttering and getting organized, I like to take a moment to take a look at a room as it is now and then think about how I want it to look. Spend a few minutes visualizing the room. If this is difficult for you because you are emotionally triggered by the clutter, take a picture on your digital camera – and leave the space. View the room in the picture – or on a computer screen.
- What do you see as the “bones” or “structural scapes” of the room?
- What is the shape of the room?
- Where are the windows and doors?
- What are the most essential pieces of furniture?
- Does the furniture placement make sense to you and help you create a sense of “flow”?
- What doesn’t belong in the room but has just gravitated there?
- What is on the floor (hint: only furniture, floor coverings and feet really belong there!)
- What has collected on the other flat surfaces in the room?
- Pretend you are getting your space ready to be shown for a sale. What would you do differently to the space to make it most appealing?
Once I’ve visualized how the room will look uncluttered, and figured out what is essential, you are free to get rid of the items that do not belong. Do you have vagrant pieces of furniture or hand-me-down items that once served a need and are no longer valued? Feel free to cast away whatever you do not need. There are many places where furniture can be listed and placed so others may use it. The Salvation Army and Vets will pick up used furniture free of charge. Perhaps a non-profit could use your items.
For a free listing of how to Reduce! Re-use! or Recycle your unwanted but donatable items go here to download my free report!
Need help with paper? Consider signing up for a Tele-class: Power Office! and Paper Managment 101 will put you on your way to success!