Procrastination is the number one difficulty reported by most adults, but it’s not a fatal flaw. Most of us do not welcome change easily, but we will benefit greatly from becoming willing to develop new habits to overcome procrastination and increase motivation. Below are just a few ideas to help with this challenge.
[Tweet “Need some help staying motivated? These 8 Strategies will get you going! #motivation”]
- Focus on the Negative – Motivation is inversely related to satisfaction. Eliminating what you hate, or on what is dissatisfying to you, results in higher motivation and more action than focusing on getting more of what you love. To get motivated, “dump your bucket”. Lay out what is wrong – and then work on fixing those things that are really causing you dissatisfaction.
- Take the Leap – Remember that it is motivation that gets you started and habits that keep you going. Resolve to get started.
- Plan it – Write out a plan for yourself and make a realistic schedule.
- Keep It Visual – Write it down. Post it in front of you. Keep it in sight. Motivation will come.
- 80/20 Rule – Delay until you have enough information but not all the information. Have the courage to make decisions with less than 80% of the facts.
- Bite Size Pieces – Break up your projects into small pieces and avoid “all or nothing” thinking.
- Check Perfectionism – Lack of motivation often comes from perfectionism. We often put things off because we are challenged with doing things perfectly. “Perfection is the worst enemy of good enough.” Motivation is action – good enough means quicker to market! If you’re a perfectionist, test your assumptions by checking them out with a friend.
- Do some work on the project – Once you step in – it’s hard to stop! To get motivated, take a few steps toward your goal. Working in small pieces will have you enrolled in no time! Lack of motivation is often due to a lack of pre-work. Some tasks are too big to handle without putting some thought into the pre-work necessary. Are you demotivated because you have not completed the necessary steps to get the entire project moving?
The key to motivation is matching the challenge with your ability and a positive mindset. Remember the story of the Little Engine That Could? It’s all about changing the way you’re thinking to invoke a result. Shift your mind-set, and get motivated!
What tips and tricks do you apply to stay motivated? Please share in the comment box below!