The secret to deep cleaning is to get to the stuff you put off.
How do you get started? Follow these tips to get off on the right foot.
- Start With A Punch List – This is the best place to start. Walk around your home with a notepad and stop in each room. Note any item on this list that needs ‘spring cleaning’ attention. Note everything that needs to be completed and add it to your list.
- Declutter First – The best way to start is with a clear mind. I use this technique a lot. If my space is cluttered and piled, I can’t work – so the best place to begin is to pick a room and declutter it first. Get rid of everything you DON’T need first. It will be easier to see what needs attention.
- Clean It – This is a great time of year to get to those things you’ve been putting off: windows, sills, drapes, carpets, cushions, fan blades… Clean from the top of the room down, it makes a huge differece.
- Open Up – It’s a great time to let go of things and create space. If you’ve got miscellaneous items crowding you in – move them out, donate them, or put them away for the season.
- Have Fun – Always have fun! One of the biggest benefits to having digital music is that you can access it anywhere. Music is a HUGE motivator when you’re cleaning. Blast whatever music is motivational to you! Sing and dance while you do it. If you don’t “have” the music on hand – go to http://www.pandora.com – and choose a play list that keeps you motivated and happy… it makes time go by faster and keeps you moving.
- Partner Up – Enroll your friends or family members to help. As my mom always says – “Many hands make light work” – If you dread cleaning, having partnership is a key to success. Find someone you like to work with, and swap chores – work together in your space, and then help them with theirs.
- Relax & Rejuvinate – When you complete a room – celebrate it! Smile, Relax, Breathe….
I’d love to hear about your successes, challenges and tips on spring cleaning and getting ready for summer.
What tips and tricks do you have? How do you get it all done? What do you need to succeed? Enter your comments below so everyone can learn!
[Tweet “The secret to deep cleaning is to get to the stuff you put off. #homeorganizing”]