Resistance is one of the single most destructive things that stop an entrepreneur from getting increased results.
Sometimes, we know just what to do and yet, for one reason or another, we simply don’t do it, even though we know we’d get results from taking action. What is this phenomenon? Let’s take a closer look.
Resistance |riˈzistəns| is a noun originating in Middle English that meant to ‘hold back’. Definitionally resistance means: the refusal to accept or comply with something; the attempt to prevent something by action or argument. Resistance has also been defined as:
- an armed or violent opposition
- a secret organization resisting authority, esp. in an occupied country
- an underground movement
- or the impeding, slowing, or stopping effect exerted by one material thing on another
- the ability not to be affected by something, especially adversely
- lack of sensitivity to a drug, insecticide, etc.
- and the degree to which a substance or device opposes the passage of an electric current, causing energy dissipation
Many people use the colloquialism – just follow the path of least resistance as an option that avoids difficulty or unpleasantness; it’s the easiest course of action.
Yet, sometimes the path of least resistance for an entrepreneur – is actually avoiding the very thing that will move us forward!
[Tweet “Resistance usually holds back fear. Set an intention to work it out vs. work against it!”]
Regardless of how you see it, resistance is a factor that mompreneurs encounter regularly. Here are five ways to get over yourself, and get on with it…
- Be curious – Resistance in yourself typically points to a block… whether there is fear, difficulty or a skills-gap, when you seek to find the wisdom in your resistance, you’ll uncover the monster under the bed. Being curious means pretending you DON’T already know the answer. Ask yourself what is going on – and see if you are surprised with the answer.
- Get specific – Resistance is like a lurking dragon… but everyone knows that although dragons invoke fear and trembling – they don’t actually exist. One way to overcome your resistance is to get clear on what is going on in your sub-conscious. To really listen to your subconscious, ask yourself this: What freedoms will I be called to sacrifice for success. Underlying much resistance is the same answer – “I’m afraid”. When you can get gritty with yourself – you’re probably at the place where that emotional blockage will be revealed. Getting specific helps you see it for what it is and the dragon will disappear.
[Tweet “By verbalizing your #intention, you often uncover the #action you need to take now.”]
- Intention then action – Set the intention to work it out with your subconscious vs. work against it. Since your thoughts are the very things that control you, YOU CAN talk to yourself and get back into control. Often simply verbalizing your intention will help you make a commitment and honor yourself. “I want more success. And, even though success may equal short-term exhaustion, it also will lead to more income to get the help I need.” By verbalizing the intention of success, you often uncover the action you need to take now – to bring the intention forward. In this example, getting the help you need now is the action to take to protect yourself from the fear.
- Get success evidence – When you give your subconscious positive examples, you are programming yourself to believe something is possible. Feed your subconscious with positive examples and case studies of what is working for others. If you know something can be done, find others who’ve done it before you and follow their lead.
- Affirmation breeds success – The more you ingrain success into your subconscious, the easier it will be to overcome your resistance. Positive affirmations and meditation are two sound daily practices that keep you moving forward and keep self-limiting resistance at bay. Mantras like: “Success increases my freedom in life!” are reminders that not only feel good, but work!
What is something you’ve resisted doing, even though you know that taking action on these would be beneficial? Please share it below along with how you will FEEL once this thing would be accomplished. What practice(s) above will you add in to help you overcome your self-limiting resistance?
Now GO get ’em!